GERMP Scholarship Award
The National Water and Electricity Company of the Gambia (NAWEC) and the Gambia Technical Training Institute (GTTI), supported by the World Bank through the Gambia Electricity Restoration and Modernisation Project (GERMP) are pleased to announce the establishment of the GERMP Scholarship Award.
- What is the GERMP Scholarship Award?
The GERMP Scholarship Award is a joint initiative by NAWEC and GTTI to promote a diversified workforce in the Energy and Water sectors in The Gambia, by increasing the number of women and girls working in institutions in these sectors.
- Who can receive a GERMP Scholarship Award?
The GERMP Scholarship Award is directed at:
- Female students who want to pursue a career in the energy and water sector and have no previous experience in these fields.
- Female students who want to advance their studies in these fields (including former and current GTTI students).
- Women already working in the energy and water sector in the Gambia who want to advance their careers (including but not restricted at NAWEC).
The GERMP Scholarship Award only targets Gambian nationals.
- What is in the GERMP Scholarship Award Package?
The GERMP Scholarship Award covers for each scholar:
- The full cost of the training fee, for the training course selected and accepted for each scholar.
- A monthly stipend of D2.000 (two thousand) to cover transportation and any other related costs (this applies only during the active period of the academic year, and it does not cover for the Holiday period).
The GERMP Scholarship Award also includes a paid internship at NAWEC, in specific training areas, for the scholars with the best academic performance. It should be noted that the final number of annual internships will be subject to NAWEC’s Human Resources Needs.
- What are the application criteria?
The application criteria for the courses offered within the framework of this Program are:
- For BSC in Engineering: 6 Credits including Math, Further Math, Chemistry, Physics, English Language and credits in the relevant areas of interest.
- High National Diploma (HND) Programs: 5 Credits including English and Math or at least 4 credits.
- Technician Programs: 4 Credits including English & Math.
- Certificate Programs: 4 Credits with a Pass in either Math & English.
For the Technician and Certificate Programs, students can also apply if they have acquired skills and/or have previous experience in the sectors. These skills will be evaluated during the Interview Panel.
- What are the training courses covered by the GERMP Scholarship Award?
The GERMP Scholarship Award will be available for the following courses offered by GTTI:
- Solar Water Heating System (6Months)
- Technician Certificate in Construction (1Yr)
- Certificate in Electrical/Electronics (1Yr)
- Certificate in General Engineering I and II ( Mechanical Option + Electrical Option) (1Yr)
- Certificate in Plumbing & Gas Fitting (1Yr)
- Diploma in Electrical Electronics (1Yr)
- Diploma in Renewable Energy Eng. (Photo-Voltaic) (1Yr)
- In Plumbing & Gas Fitting (1Yr)
- Diploma in General Engineering (Mechanical Option + Electrical Option) (1Yr)
- Technician Diploma Construction (2Yrs) (Skills and Competence in Construction provided)
- Ordinary National Diploma (OND) – Mechanical Engineering (2Yrs)
- OND Electrical Engineering (2Yrs)
- High National Diploma (HND) -Mechanical Engineering (2Yrs)
- HND-Civil Engineering & Architecture (2Yrs)
- HND-Electrical/Electronic Engineering (2Yrs)
- BSc Electrical/Electronic Engineering (3Yrs)
- How many GERMP Scholarship Award will be given?
The total number of scholars who will receive the GERMP Scholarship Award is estimated at 54. The initiative is expected to happen every academic year until 2024/2025 but can be ended before, if the number of scholars is achieved before then
The final number of scholars will depend on the number of applications received that comply with the criteria and are selected according to the selection procedure.
- Can the GERMP Scholarship Award be terminated?
In the event a scholar is found to be in violation of the national laws, including statute or regulations of GTTI, or is convicted of any criminal offence, or due to unsatisfactory progress (as determined by the GTTI), then, after consultations with NAWEC, the Scholarship may be terminated.
- Where and when will the trainings take place?
The training will take place at GTTI Kanifing Main campus. The training will start in January 2022, for the academic year of 2022.
- How can I apply to a GERMP Scholarship Award?
To apply for the GERMP Scholarship Award, potential scholars are required to apply to their selected training course at GTTI. This includes the submission of the completed forms to GTTI which are available at the GTTI Cashier’s desk at a cost of D200 (two hundred). For the selected scholars, this cost will be refunded with their first stipend.
- For the Technician and Certificate Programs: Students applying based on their acquired skills and/or previous experience in the sectors, will have to submit their Curriculum Vitae and a letter from their employer or any other relevant document attesting to their experience.
- For BSc and HNDs programs: the potential scholar must also submit a written document stating the justification for the application to the GERMP Scholarship Award.
Further to these, a birth certificate to make proof of nationality will also have to be submitted by all candidates.
All scholarship applications must be submitted to GTTI’s Admissions Office. Interest in this Scholarship must be shown through the admission form in the section provided for this purpose.
- How will the selection be made?
The selection process is as follows:
- Phase 1: Verification of the administrative procedures, which includes review of the submitted forms and verification that the potential scholar fulfills the criteria to the selected training. This verification will lead to the development of a shortlist of potential scholars.
- Phase 2: An Interview Panel will be held with the shortlisted. GTTI and NAWEC staff constitute the Interview Panel.
- Phase 3: Notification of the scholars awarded the GERMP Scholarship Program.
- What is the timeline for the attribution of the GERMP Scholarship Award?
The most important dates for the GERMP Scholarship Award for the Academic Year 2022 are:
- Deadline for applications: October 31st, 2021
- Evaluation process (Shortlist and Interview): between 17th to 31st November 2021
- Communication to the scholars: December 15th, 2021
- Start of the training: 3rd 2022 (final date to be confirmed)