REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES –
INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT’S SELECTION)
ELECTRICITY RESTORATION AND MODERNIZATION PROJECT (GERMP)
Loan No./Credit No./ Grant No.: IDA- D6530
Assignment Title: Junior Power Engineer for the Project Implementation Unit (PIU).
Reference No.: GM-NAWEC-379215-CS-INDV
The Republic of the Gambia is implementing Electricity Restoration and Modernization Project (GERMP) financed by the World Bank, European Investment Bank, and European Union. The main Project Development Objectives are increasing the availability and reliability of electricity supply in the Gambia; improving operational performance of NAWEC; improve the capacity of NAWEC to dispatch variable renewable electricity. In June 2020, the World Bank Board approved Additional Financing for GERMP to address, inter alia, urgent needs in improvement of NAWEC water business.
The project has a component on rural electrification – Design, Supply, and Install electricity distribution infrastructure (Medium Voltage Backbones and Low Voltage networks) to maximize new connections.
A Junior Power Engineer is now being recruited by the Gambia Project Implementation Unit (PIU) to work on relevant projects activities under the supervision of the Senior Power Engineer of the PIU.
The assignment will be for a period of one (1) year, renewable.
- SCOPE OF WORK
The Junior Power Engineer’s overall responsibility will be providing technical expertise during project implementation and provide inputs to the ensure timely and efficient implementation of the projects managed under the PIU.
Activities to be performed include but are not limited to the following:
- Participating in the review of the designs prepared by the Contractors and the Owner’s Engineers.
- Representing the PIU on-site during implementations of works and reporting accordingly to the Senior Power Engineer of the PIU.
- Report on project related activities and identifying bottlenecks to implementation for swift redress.
- Take part in reviewing works’ documents, including invoices, acceptance of materials, control of the works’ compliance with Employer’s Requirements, and all other necessary supervision activities, to ensure that construction of the distribution networks is implemented on time, efficiently, safely, and are of satisfactory technical quality.
- Participating in monitoring of the implementation of the Environmental and Social Management Plan in liaison with the Safeguard team of the PIU.
- Reviewing technical documents and ensuring strict control during implementation activities.
- Contribute to the elaboration of Annual Work Plans and Budgets of the projects under the PIU.
- Other activities, as instructed by the Senior Power Engineer and the Project Coordinator.
2. QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- (i) Bachelor’s degree in Electric Engineering or related fields.
- (ii) Minimum 3 years’ relevant experience in Medium Voltage (MV) and Low Voltage (LV) networks.
- (iii) Fluent in English with excellent written and spoken skills.
- (iv) Experienced computer user, including excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- (v) The Engineer will be required to reside around the project sites. Her/his office will be in Farafenni and Basse, depending on the intervention site.
- FACILITIES TO BE PROVIDED BY THE PIU
The following facilities will be provided by the client to the consultant free of charge.
- (i) Office Space: Office space with desk shall be provided in the client’s office or as it may be agreed.
- (ii) Laptop, Office facilities: printing facilities, photocopying, copying paper writing materials etc.
- (iii) Documents: All the documents and available data and information concerning the Project.
- (iv) Internet facilities within the office.
- (v) Business transport within the city such as meetings workshops etc.
- (vi) Support for all site visits required for supervision and monitoring.
- FACILITIES TO BE PROVIDED BY THE ENGINEER
- (i) Mobile phone and communication (Telephone, own internet outside office hours)
- (ii) In City Personal Transportation.
THE ENGINEER WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ARRANGING AND PAYING FOR ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs, 3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the World Bank’s “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” July 2016 and revised November 2017 and July 2018 and November 2020 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant selection method set out in the Procurement Regulations. Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours from 08:00 to 16:00. Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) by close of business 15th November 2023.
Attention: Mrs. Haddy Njie – Project Coordinator
Address: National Water & Electricity Company Limited,
Project Implementation Unit
Emporium III Building,
114 Kairaba Avenue
Floor/ Room number: Conference Room, 1st Floor
Country: The Gambia
Telephone: +220 3664125 / 3182113/ 7009342