REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT’S SELECTION)
The Gambia Electricity Access Project (GEAP)
Recruitment of a Junior Power (Field) Engineer for the Project Implementation Unit
Financing Agreement reference: ADF Grant No: 210015040530
ADF (TSF) Grant No: 5900155016059
Project ID No.: P-GM-FA0-002
Reference No.: NAWEC-GEAP-CS-03
Issue Date: 17th November 2021
Closing Date: 9th December 2021
The Government of The Gambia has received financing from the African Development Bank towards the cost of The Gambia Electricity Access Project (GEAP). The Government therefore intends to apply part of the proceeds of this grant to payments under the contract for the recruitment of a Junior Power (Field) Engineer for the Project Implementation Unit.
The services included under this project are to provide technical assistance to the project and ensure timely and efficient implementation of the projects managed by the PIU.
The Project Implementation Unit through National Water and Electricity Company (NAWEC) Ltd now invites eligible Individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services. Consultant’s Letter of Expression of Interest and CV shall be submitted to the address below.
- QUALIFICATION / REQUIREMENTS
(i) Bachelor’s degree in Electric Engineering or related fields.
(ii) Minimum 3 years’ relevant experience.
(iii) Fluent in English with excellent written and spoken skills.
(iv) Experienced computer user, including excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
(v) The Engineer will be required to reside around the project sites. Her/his office will be in Farafenni and Basse, depending on the intervention site.
Eligibility criteria, establishment of the short-list and the selection procedure shall be in accordance with the African Development Bank’s “Procurement Framework of October 2015”, which is available on the Bank’s website at http://www.afdb.org.
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours (Monday – Friday) during office hours: 0900 hrs to 1600 hrs.
Expressions of interest must be delivered to the address below by 9th December 2021, at 12:00 p.m. local time and mention “Junior Power (Field) Engineer for the Project Implementation Unit”.
Office of the Managing Director
Attention: Mrs. Haddy Njie, Project Coordinator
National Water & Electricity Company Limited,
53, Mamady Maniyang Highway, P.O. Box 609, Banjul, The Gambia
Floor/ Room number: Conference Room, 1st Floor
Country: The Gambia
Telephone: +220 4375990
Facsimile number: +220 4375990
Terms of Reference
A Junior Power Engineer for the Project Implementation Unit of the Gambia part of the ECOWAS Regional Electricity Access Project
National Water and Electricity Company Ltd, NAWEC, is preparing and implementing the Gambia-related part of the World Bank funded ECOWAS-Regional Electricity Access Project, Phase I (ECOWAS-REAP1). The Project Development Objective is to increase grid electricity access in Guinea-Bissau, Mali, and The Gambia. The project aims to provide access to around 1.1 million people in specific localities selected in the countries following a first order least cost geospatial planning within a 100-km radius of the substations of the OMVG in The Gambia and Guinea Bissau, and the substations of the OMVS in Mali. The project comprises three components: (i) Design and build of electricity distribution infrastructure (Medium Voltage – MV and Low Voltage – LV) to maximize new connections; (ii) Supervision of the construction and technical advisory; and (iii) Technical assistance and project management.
For the project management, the Senior Power Engineer of the Gambia Project Implementation Unit (PIU) needs technical assistance to handle properly various activities he is in charge of. For this, a Junior Power Engineer is now being recruited by the Gambia Project Implementation Unit (PIU), in relation with the World Bank, to work under the supervision of the Senior Power Engineer of the PIU, on relevant activities of the ECOWAS-REAP1 project and any other projects implemented under the PIU.
- Scope of Work
The Junior Power Engineer’s overall responsibility will be providing technical expertise during project implementation and inputs to ensure timely and efficient implementation of the projects. Activities to be performed include but are not limited to the following:
- Participating in the review of the designs prepared by the Contractors and the Owner’s Engineers, technical specifications, drawings, schedules, all technical documents and works’ documents, including various reports and invoices.
- Take part in acceptance of materials (FAT & SAT), control of the works’ compliance with Employer’s Requirements, and all other necessary supervision activities, to ensure that construction of the distribution networks is implemented on time, efficiently, safely, and with high technical quality.
- Representing the PIU on-site during implementation of works and reporting accordingly to the Senior Power Engineer of the PIU.
- Contribute to the elaboration of Annual Work Plans and Budgets of the projects;
- Other activities, as instructed by the Senior Power Engineer and the Project Coordinator.
- QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- (i) Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related fields.
- (ii) Minimum 3 years’ relevant experience meant as being involved in power distribution grid operation activities or in power distribution grid extension/reinforcement projects in urban or rural areas.
- (iii) Fluent in English with excellent written and spoken skills.
- (iv) Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team.
- (v) Experienced computer user, including excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- DUTY STATION
- QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
The Engineer will be required to reside most of the time around the project sites. Her/his office will be in Farafenni and Basse, depending on the intervention site.
- FAcilities to be provided by the PIU
The following facilities will be provided by the client to the consultant free of charge.
- (i) Office Space: Office space with desk shall be provided in NAWEC’s office (Farafenni or Basse) or as it may be agreed.
- (ii) Laptop, Office facilities: printing facilities, photocopying, copying paper writing materials etc.
- (iii) Documents: All the documents and available data and information concerning the Project.
- (iv) Internet facilities within the office.
- (v) Business transport within the city for meetings, workshops, etc.
- (vi) Support for all site visits required for supervision and monitoring.
- FAcilities to be provided by the CONSULTANT
- (i) Mobile phone and communication (Telephone, own internet outside office hours).
- (ii) In City Personal Transportation.
- (iii) Accommodation and meals.
- DURATION OF CONTRACT
1 year period contract renewable after satisfactory evaluation by the Project Coordinator.